The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 All netural diet View next topic
View previous topic
Sonja

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello to all Briard lovers and owners.
I am new to the group as well as to the breed. I've got two fur-kids, four and a half year old PON Ori and new addition 12 weeks old Briard Mila.
I would like to start Mila on an all natural diet but I'm very much worried about making mistakes. She is a growing pup and I would like to make sure she gets all she needs for an optimum development.
Would any of you share your experience/recipes or forward links of good sites that deal with this kind of diet for Briards.
Thank you in advance
Sonja and Mila
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi & welcome Sonja & your furries Mila & Ori. I can't advise you on diet, but I am sure there are others on here who feed natural (by that do you mean raw?). Anyway good luck & we look forward to seeing piccies of your two.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Very Happy Hello and welcome to the group. I'm also not the best person to advise you on that diet either, but it is lovely to meet you. PONs are lovely dogs too.
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome Sonja! Wow, Gdansk! Nice to chat to people across the globe! I've only been to Zakopane and Krakow in Poland.
Hugo has convenient dried food (Symply), but quite a lot of people feed the raw diet. if you look back at older posts, you'll probably find quite a lot of info while you're waiting for answers.
Sonja

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you all for such a warm welcome messages. I'll try to put a picture of Ori and Mila in a day or so, I just need to work out which one is the cutest of them all first Smile
Yes PON is also a lovely breed and having been studying Briards as well as watching Mila recently I can draw a lot of parallels between the two (both cheeky, purposely funny, intelligent, independent dogs with a great memory and ability to learn ... I can go on and on as I never have enough of talking about the two (just as any proud mummy would Smile but I wont bore you right now.

We are in a true sense and international household with only my husband and Ori being Polish (well Mila is born here but the fact that she loves eating snails and slugs at any opportunity when I'm not looking proves that she's truly French!).
Yes, Gdansk is a beautiful city on a Baltic coast and I would recommend it to anyone to come and visit.
Once more thank you all. I'm looking forward to reading your stories and sharing some of mine.
All the best
Sonja, Ori and Mila
Deborah Mansi (DEBUET)
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Sonja

Please don't let her eat slugs or snails. They can cause all sorts of problems. Not good for them at all. Welcome all the same and I look forward to hearing your stories in the future.

Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm trying very hard not to let her.... Last few wet and humid days, we had literally hundreds with each step we made - I was watching her like a hawk but the little one still managed to swallow few. She is really into them and no treat I offered would make her let go so I resulted in putting my hands in there and forcing her to let go. Unfortunately, even that wasn't the best solution as quite often she would swallow a part of what ever she had in her mouth. Sad
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Just get her vaccinated against lungworm to be on the safe side! Hugo eats all sorts of rubbish, though not slugs and snails. Oscar would eat them if he trod on them by accident and he didn't get ill, but I know they can give dogs lungworm, which is supposed to be really nasty. And yes, Hugo's reaction would be the same - the minute you reached out towards his mouth, he would immediately swallow whatever it was whole in order to prevent you from getting it! I do worry about him outside as he eats all sorts of greenery and would drink from the bird bath if we hadn't raised it.
Sonja

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry about late reply Ruth, we all got down with cold in my household.
Thank you for the tip, I'll speak to Mila's vet tomorrow about lungworm vaccination. We are up and going with BARF - she seems to love it however no matter how well fed she is, she'll still try to pick up and eat just about anything. She now knows that I don't like the idea of snails and slugs in her mouth so she is very good at not picking them up when I'm looking, however when I'm not... She's also tasted a poisonous bush yesterday, no reaction just yet (I'm sure she swallowed some). Ori was definitely more selective as to what he thought would be a tasty treat when he was a puppy! I hope it's just a stage she's going through and I hope I'll be able to teach her 'drop' command with some highly tasty treats soon. How old is Hugo?
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hugo is 7 and still scavenging! Dogs inevitably eat things they shouldn't (like humans!), but hopefully not usually in big enough quantities to do harm. We just have to do our best to try to keep them away from such things, but sometimes it's easier said than done!
Sonja

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hugo is 7 years old Smile.... is he the lovely one from your picture? I'll try to download Ori's and Mila's picture today!

Talking about lungworms and other parasites, today I found out an information about pumpkin seeds being very good at deworming against tapeworms and other intestinal parasites in both dogs and humans. Does anyone have experience with this?
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow, that's useful to know. Yes, Hugo is 7 and that is him in the picture. He is, much to his bemusement, the most photographed dog in Britain! When Oscar died, our photos were such a comfort, so the minute we got Hugo, we just started snapping and haven't stopped since. I fear there may be a fair few photos of him on the site, especially in all the calendar entries! Embarassed We've got mugs and coasters with him on! Luckily, he is quite patient and sits for minutes while I take piccies (unless he reaches the end of his tether and has a mad 5 minute charge around). Can't wait to see Ori and Mila.
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Sonja, glad you may have sorted out the feeding. Hope to see photos of your lovelies soon. Thanks for the tip about pumpkin seeds.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes. I didn't know that about pumpkin seeds either. Thanks Very Happy
lizannesley
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I heard about pumpkin seeds being good for dogs as a "help" for prostate problems. My homeopathic vet said they needed to be ground up or they just "pass" through. She recommended pumpkin seed butter. Good for humans as well as dogs. I bought a jar of organic from Holland & Barrett. Razz
Sonja

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Here is the link I found for pumpkin seeds:
http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/pumpkin-seeds-natural-worms-dogs/
They say a teaspoon per 10pounds of body weight once or twice a day (if you are up against warms and parasites)... But even if your dog is healthy, pumpkin seeds sound as a very good supplement to it's diet.

PS Photos of Ori and Mila might need to wait for a day or two, didn't manage to work out how to downsize them to a required size... What ever I do they are always over 15kb Sad
Sonja

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Finally got a profile photo going - brownie with white chocolate Smile
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

That's a lovely profile. I was a member here for months before I figured out how to do my profile. And I have had umpteen people's help when it comes to uploading photos over the years, but I've forgotten it all again. :oops

I met some PONs recently, and they are great.

Our Briard is upstairs sound asleep on our bed. Wink

Off to look at the article on pumpkin seed. Thanks.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic