The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 agression View next topic
View previous topic
kathryn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Please can somebody advise us. Our briard Louis, has just turned two years of age and in the last week has started behaving aggressively towards my partner. He bit him when he was in the car and has snarled at him when being stroked after a grooming session and last night he 'went' for him after being settled for the night on his cushion with a treat! This was completely out of the blue and we don't understand what is making him like this. We have done all the usual things to assert ourselves as 'alpha' beings over him and up until now he has been a perfect dog. He doesn't appear to be in any pain and almost wees himself with fear after the aggressive behaviour - what on earth is going on in his head?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kathryn
Yvonne Holland
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am sorry to hear this but whilst you say he does not appear to be in pain look and look again , double check his ears often a source of the problem has he got a grass seed inside are they clean, or maybe he has a infection that is lying deeper than you can see, use a little thornit much better than any antibiotic and clears up the problem quickly, check his feet especially the pads is there something there, if he has had no aggresion before then there is proberly and under lying cause for him lashing out - good luck I am sure lots of others will give you tips that you will find helpful.

all the best

Teseny Briards
Michelle
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I can truely symathise. Confused My husband's dog loved me when I first moved in with them, then after about four months (he was two) suddenly turned against me, even though I was the walker and feeder, we have persevered for years with this matter, when Madison arrived he mellowed a little then we had him done, he is now (aged six) very tolerant of me, but still sometimes shows the whites of his eyes, although he only grumbled at me, never bitten me or showed his teeth. Sometimes my husband can not get him out of the car but all I do is say 'out' once and he is out, (weird not sure how he thinks) but he is still our pal and we love him. We are not all the same and neither are our dogs.

Good luck Razz

Michelle and the VERY FRIENDLY Madison

Last edited by Michelle on Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Debs
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi,
As this behaviour is so out of the blue, I agree with Yvonne. Double check that nothing is hurting him. Have you looked at his teeth? Does his breath smell?
Dogs have no other way of showing they are in pain.
If in any doubt, get your vet to check him out.

Good luck Surprised
Nicola Pearce
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As both Debs and Yvonne have said you need to ensure that there is no medical condition before anything.

If he is a full male then to get him done is a good start - another form of training is that as soon as he mumbles/shows teeth or anyting else you put a mussel on him (which indicates that it is a mouth issue) - give him a good shake and shout at (just like his mum would do) put him out from the family in his bed and leave him there for say about 15 mins to start with - then call him back and take the mussel off and let him back in. Every time he shows this behaviour you do the same and increase the excusion time by 15 mins. It is important that who ever he has shown the aggession to does this also to use a mussel will give you safety and by you knowing this means that you will administer the shake without any underlying fear and he will feel that you mean it. This is showing him consequence of action and has worked with both my resuce briards - and after a very short time we had many years of no aggression what so ever.

But you must ensure that he is well and that this is not caused by another factor.

Michelle
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Such good advice, I wish I had some caring owners to help with Max when I was having my trouble with him all those years ago (Max by the way is NOT a briard). Laughing

Michelle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you all so much for your very helpful replies. Over the last couple of days Louis seems to have calmed down and not displayed any more aggresion. We will certainly get him checked out at the vet though. The level of aggression was quite out of character and I still can't work out whether it was dominance or fear based. The biting in the car and when my partner said 'goodnight' to him was probably something to do with guarding his territory? But why on earth should he have gone for him after a grooming session when my partner was just gently stroking him? There is no evidence of ear or feet problems.

In the past he has shown fear aggression towards my son (who is a policeman - we think he didn't like the uniform) and he does stupid things like curls his lip at my daughter when she comes home and gently says 'hello' to him but within an hour they are romping together. Weird eh? I know that Briards are reserved with strangers but he doesn't seem to conform to a patten of behavior. He is just very nervous of one or two people for no apparant reason - the rest he is fine with.

Anyway I most grateful to all who have replied and have a great Christmas all.

Kathryn[/u]
Debs
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Kathryn, Do these people your dog is funny with have anything in common such as hats?
I have a friend whose dog goes mental whenever he is out walking and sees someone in a hat.
It took us a while to puzzle it out but we sussed it in the end!

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic